UK Passivhaus Awards to be presented at London Build
The annual UK Passivhaus Awards take place this year on 24 October at the London Build trade fair.
This year, nine projects have been nominated for the awards, which seek to reward passive certified projects that exhibit a mix of robust building performance and great design. In the large residential category, sponsored by Munster Joinery, the nominees are St John’s Almshouses, a sheltered housing scheme for older persons in Litchfield by KKE Architects, and Carrowbreck Meadow, an ecologically sensitive development of affordable and private homes outside Norwich by Hamson Barron Smith.
In the non domestic category, sponsored by Ashden, the nominees are: the Enterprise Centre at the University of East Anglia by Architype, widely regarded as one of the most sustainable buildings in the UK; Associated Architects’ George Davies Centre for Medical Studies at the University of Leicester, the UK’s largest passive house certified building to date, and the Barrel Store, Cirencester, an old brewery building that has been retrofitted into an Enerphit certified youth hostel by Potter and Holmes and Greengauge Building Energy Consultants.
In the small projects category, the nominees are the Hampshire passive house in Ermsworth by Ruth Butler Architects, Hope View in Cradley by Warren Benbow Architects, Old Holloway Cottage in Hertfordshire by Juraj Mikurcik (and profiled in issue 27 of Passive House Plus) and Passive House Mews II, a tight landfill project in London by RDA Architects.
“This year we saw a range of projects that are breaking passive house stereotypes whilst striving to capture the elusive balance between architectural delight and robust building performance,” said Yogini Patel of the Passivhaus Trust.
For more information on the awards see www.passivhaustrust.org.
- St John's Almshouses St John's Almshouses
- Passive Mews II Passive Mews II
- The Enterprise Centre at the University of East Anglia The Enterprise Centre at the University of East Anglia
- Hampshire passive house Hampshire passive house
- Carrowbreck Meadow Carrowbreck Meadow
- Hope View Hope View
- George Davies Centre for Medical Studies at the University of Leicester George Davies Centre for Medical Studies at the University of Leicester
- The Barrel store The Barrel store
- Old Holloway Old Holloway
- Thinking inside the box - Victorian semi retrofitted as a house within a house
- Green Homes Grants: where did it go wrong, and what comes next?
- Visit ISH Digital online until 30 April
- New England rebel - Cork passive house with Vermont roots
- Steico set for major expansion with new factory
- LETI: 33,000 net zero carbon homes planned